Has it ever occurred to you that trying to work in some ‘me time’ seems to make you busier than ever? In desperately trying to scratch back an hour or so a week to do something nice for yourself, do you find yourself working extra hard to figure it in to your schedule? We have a different idea … “sleep time is the new me time”.
Honestly, we feel that people are under-valuing sleep as their go-to health and wellbeing experience. You can have as many spa days, nail treatments, nature walks, relaxation massages and tennis sessions as you like but nothing compares to the importance of sleep.
The Oxford definition of ‘me time’ is:
“Time spent relaxing on one's own as opposed to working or doing things for others, seen as an opportunity to reduce stress or restore energy.”
While it’s very tempting to feel like unwinding with a couple of glasses of wine or staying up late to watch a movie, these activities – and many others – can be counterproductive to getting what your body really craves. Sleep.
We know, we know. Sleep sometimes seems boring and completely ‘unsexy’. But think how you feel when you wake up from a really good, refreshing night’s sleep. You feel like you can conquer the world!
Are any of these habits vaguely familiar to you?
- I fall asleep on the couch watching TV but stay there until 2 or 3am because I’m too lazy to get up and go to bed.
- I use my phone in bed to check social media, watch YouTube videos and message people, even if my head is nodding off.
- I work out late at night because it’s the only time I can fit it in to my busy schedule.
- Once I put the kids to bed, I sit up drinking wine to relax.
- I never nap during the day because it seems too indulgent, but sometimes I go to bed without even doing the dinner dishes.
- If I do nap, it’s a quick 20-minute power nap at my desk.
Geez, get some good sleep! Your body is crying out for it and you will feel like a whole new person when you make time to close your eyes and settle in for a bit of REM. Stop believing that sleep time is unproductive, ‘nothing’ time. It is literally one of the most important things you can do for your physical and mental wellbeing.
If you need some help drifting off to sleep, we can help with our beautiful 100% natural aromatherapy sleep blends.